The Pitztal valley and Kaunertal valley, two high-altitude side valleys of the Upper Inn Valley, offer a great variety of quality icefalls. Basically you can easily fill a whole week in one of the valleys, or you cover the most beautiful highlights of the two valleys within one week.
Accommodation and food are not included in the price. In this region, accommodation is available in every price category. We recommend to book the accommodation early enough as especially in the high season (Christmas, February - March), places can be fully booked quickly.
Here are some addresses:
Technical material is included in the price.
Since we do not climb constantly, there can be "standing times" in cold temperatures, so make sure to bring along enough warm clothes - one cools down quite quickly!
We recommend you bring light clothing of varying thickness to achieve an "onion system" for greater comfort. Cotton is not suitable as it quickly becomes cold upon getting wet. Skiing apparel, however, works well. Our recommendation: warm merino underwear and a fast warming down jacket.
- long underwear (bottom and top), synthetic, merino or wool
- warm pants (lined or fleece)
- warm fleece or long sleeve shirt (not cotton)
- lined jacket or vest, preferably down jacket
- waterproof jacket with hood (Gore-Tex or nylon)
- waterproof pants (Gore-Tex or nylon)
- socks (merino or ski socks)
- woolen cap or lined cap that protects your ears and fits under a helmet
- waterproof climbing gloves (2 pairs)
- solid mountain boots (in exceptional cases ski boots are also possible)
- gaiters if necessary
- Buff (neck protection)
- a minimum 25 litre backpack (space for clothing, snacks, drinks, climbing equipment)
- sun protection (glasses and cream)
- thermos or water bottle (already full!!!!)
- personal medicine
If you want to take your own technical material with you: (otherwise rental equipment included in the price)
- crampons: must fit the shoes and be easily adjustable, with vertical front teeth
- climbing harness: always with adjustable leg loops
- climbing helmet
- ice axe: steep ice axe
- screw carabines
- backup device: reverso, ATC or similar
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- travel to destination
- drive to the respective ice climbing area or icefall
- accommodation costs before, during or after the courses
- travel expenses for the mountain guide
- accommodation for the mountain guide (for tours of 2 days or more)
- travel and cancellation insurance
- personal climbing apparel