Hotel Hinteregger12.53823299999999107968 47.00160081703049996804 : 01.01.1970 01:00 4 0 0 0 0 Hotel Hinteregger Tirol fileadmin/res/images/content/marker-hotel.png //maps.google.at/maps?q=Hintermarkt%204%2B9971%2BMatrei%20in%20Osttirol /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=4&cHash=5cef01f589503da541d9213df989c033
ice climbing level 2
After a couple of days of ice climbing you are now ready to take the first few metres on the ice by yourself, take the sharp end of the rope in your hand and do lead climbing. In this 2-day course you will be working on your ice-climbing skills, as well as consolidate your knowledge of how to build a stand, how to set the ice screws correctly, how to abseil and how to assess the dangers in the 1-pitch range.
The Ice Park East Tyrol is ideal for the first few metres of lead climbing, as it can still be practiced in the steep ice as you climb upwards, and at the same time approach lead climbing on less inclined terrain.
We offer our level 2 course on Saturday/Sunday and Monday/Tuesday. This is a good alternative to either escape the packed weekends in the Ice Park East Tyrol or to combine it with the level 1 course.
If the dates given by us are not possible, we can of course offer the same programme on other dates!
- lead climbing safety
- lead climbing up to WI3-4
- securing in lead climbing
- correct setting of ice screws
- correct dismantling of ice screws
- stand construction with Abalakov, ice screws and bolts
- Abalakov (ice clock)
- active abseiling
- ice climbing technique up to WI5 (video analysis)
- material care
- meeting point in the Matrei Tauernhaus at 8:30 am
- check of the equipment and adjust the crampons
- access to the ice park (approx. 20 min.)
- hazards and precautions
- repetition of safety techniques, communication and climbing techniques
- construction of a toprope stand with bolts, ice screws and Abalakov
- active abseiling
- correct "pick up rope"
- lead climbing toprope secured
- individually: lead climbing
- climbing and coaching (with video analysis)
- material care
- basics of tour planning (weather forecast, avalanche situation report, access to destination /access to the tour, topos and map)
- access to the ice park or choice of another ice climbing area at the Felbertauern (access to destination and access the tour)
- (lead climbing toprope secured)
- lead climbing
- lead climbing with half ropes
- lead climbing and belaying on steeper ice - techniques
- after-talk and course completion around 4 pm
LEVEL 2 - LEAD CLIMBING „multi-pitch day“
On another day, after the level 2 - lead climbing course, the first steps in multi-pitch ice climbing can be taken. The icefalls in the Tauern valley and around the Felbertauern are predestined for this. The ratio of mountain guide to participant is reduced to 1:3, and a suitable multi-pitch route is selected.
The fee for the "multi-pitch day" of the iceGuides mountain guide is € 352,-.
Only for participants of level 2 - lead climbing course!
location / meeting point / how to get there
The Level 1 - Climbing Course takes place in the Ice Park East Tyrol (if otherwise it will be announced at registration). Meeting point is the Matrei Tauernhaus.
In order to keep the prices manageable, the individual course participants are responsible for the journey to the destination and necessary drives during the course. On top of that, it allows you to be flexible and to undertake further activities, such as ski tours in East Tyrol.
sleeping / food
Accommodation and food are not included in the price. However, in addition to the ideal base for the East Tyrolean Ice Park, the Matrei Tauernhaus, there are plenty of accommodation options in Matrei or other places in East Tyrol. We recommend you book the accommodation early enough, as especially in the high season (Christmas, February - March), places are often fully booked.
The tourist information office Matrei in East Tyrol is at your disposal for further information.
Lastly, do not forget a snack (e.g. sweets, power bars, etc.) and liquid for the day. We recommend to bring warm drinks in a thermos.
You can reach the The Ice Park East Tyrol and the Matrei Tauernhaus in:
- 30 min. from Lienz (35 km)
- 50 min. from Kitzbühel (55 km)
- 50 min. from Zell am See (50 km)
- 1.5 h from Spittal an der Drau (110 km)
- 2 h from Salzburg (150 km)
- 2 h from Innsbruck (145 km)
- 2.5 h from Munich / Germany (180 km)
- 3.5 h from Graz (320 km)
- 4 h from Nuremberg / Germany (450 km)
- 4.5 h from Vienna (445 km)
Landerl12.57490649999999732245 46.93419811699035903985 : 01.01.1970 01:00 7 0 0 0 0 Landerl Tirol fileadmin/res/images/content/marker-hotel.png //maps.google.at/maps?q=Nr.%2038%2B9971%2BHuben /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=7&cHash=cb9534b3b22413c7876c3b874dfc29a4
Hotel Outside12.53824870000005375914 46.99988281702945158713 : 01.01.1970 01:00 6 0 0 0 0 Hotel Outside Tirol fileadmin/res/images/content/marker-hotel.png //maps.google.at/maps?q=Virgener-Stra%C3%9Fe%203%2B9971%2BMatrei%20in%20Osttirol /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=6&cHash=d4848560cf452c8fde947d23b07c9014
Felbertauernstüberl12.53205590000004576723 47.02225701704280425020 : 01.01.1970 01:00 5 0 0 0 0 Felbertauernstüberl Tirol fileadmin/res/images/content/marker-hotel.png //maps.google.at/maps?q=Kaltenhaus%2024%2B9971%2BMatrei%20in%20Osttirol /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=5&cHash=5b6072e45ea5dad65e63acd31a986e2e
Camping Edengarten12.54008390000001327280 46.99534851702677684671 : 01.01.1970 01:00 8 0 0 0 0 Camping Edengarten Tirol fileadmin/res/images/content/marker-hotel.png //maps.google.at/maps?q=Edenweg%2015a%2B9971%2BMatrei%20in%20Osttirol /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=8&cHash=75b911104e8d31a5ed80433f28054070
Eispark Osttirol12.49648590000003878231 47.11904861710065972602 : 01.01.1970 01:00 2 0 0 0 0 Eispark Osttirol Tirol //maps.google.at/maps?q=Tauer%2022%2B9971%2BMatrei /en/ice-climbing-courses/eiskletterkurs?tx_courses_course%5Baction%5D=show&tx_courses_course%5Bcontroller%5D=Course&tx_courses_course%5Bpoi%5D=2&cHash=290b3c1830a2b7473aa2e75805cb05f5
apparel and equipment list
Technical material is included in the price.
Since we do not climb constantly, there can be "standing times" in cold temperatures, so make sure to bring along enough warm clothes - one cools down quite quickly!
We recommend you bring light clothing of varying thickness to achieve an "onion system" for greater comfort. Cotton is not suitable as it quickly becomes cold upon getting wet. Skiing apparel, however, works well. Our recommendation: warm merino underwear and a fast warming down jacket.
- long underwear (bottom and top), synthetic, merino or wool
- warm pants (lined or fleece)
- warm fleece or long sleeve shirt (not cotton)
- lined jacket or vest, preferably down jacket
- waterproof jacket with hood (Gore-Tex or nylon)
- waterproof pants (Gore-Tex or nylon)
- socks (merino or ski socks)
- woolen cap or lined cap that protects your ears and fits under a helmet
- waterproof climbing gloves (2 pairs)
- solid mountain boots (in exceptional cases ski boots are also possible)
- gaiters if necessary
- Buff (neck protection)
- a minimum 25 litre backpack (space for clothing, snacks, drinks, climbing equipment)
- sun protection (glasses and cream)
- thermos or water bottle (already full!!!!)
- personal medicine
If you want to take your own technical material with you: (otherwise rental equipment included in the price)
- crampons: must fit the shoes and be easily adjustable, with vertical front teeth
- climbing harness: always with adjustable leg loops
- climbing helmet
- ice axe: steep ice axe
- screw carabines
- backup device: reverso, ATC or similar